Amazon banner

(Updated)Defense Requests Jury Be Sequestered - Juror #5 Releases Statement

(*Thanks to Sue for letting me know about the problem with the text color!)
Defense attorney Kirk Nurmi filed a motion in court this morning to have the jury sequestered for the remainder of the trial. He cited the release of the videotaped interviews with Jodi Arias's parents, and the release of Jodi Arias's 600 page journal as reasons for the request.  I think sequestering the jury is a great idea. Nobody wants a mistrial here. What's the harm? This is an added expense, but I think it would be a good move at this point. Nurmi is also talking now about how it appears that jurors may have been photographed by HLN cameramen. 

Prosecutor Juan Martinez sniped back at Kirk Nurmi for assuming the jurors ARE seeing some of the things that have been covered in the media. Judge Stephens reiterated that she has continually asked the jurors if they have seen any media coverage, and she has spoken to each of them individually prior to excusing juror #5. Judge Stephens just denied the motion to sequester the jury, she cited case law backing her decision. It appears defense expert LaViolette is back in the courtroom today and has just taken the stand.

The woman known as "Juror #5" released a statement to the press on Wednesday, regarding her dismissal from the Jodi Arias murder trial (taken verbatim, Phoenix News at KTAR.com):


"In the past few days I have been a part of discussion and interest in the murder trial case of Jodi Arias. For the past three months I have been fulfilling my duty as one of the jurors in the case of Jodi Arias. Jodi Arias' attorneys have filed a motion asking for a mistrial or that Juror 5 is removed from the jury, which led to my removal.

As a juror that has been removed from the jury, I would like to remind everyone that the murder trial case of Jodi Arias is still going on and that the time and money being invested in this trial are more relevant and important than my removal from the jury.


Until the verdict in murder trial case of Jodi Arias is reached I will not make any statements or give any interviews regarding my removal from the jury. I believe that the attention should be focused on the actual trial. I would ask from everyone to please respect my privacy and the privacy of my family."



Removed Juror #5 in the murder case of Jodi Arias
It has become standard practice for the media to seek out jurors on these high profile criminal trials for insight and interviews once a verdict has been reached. I'm sure everyone remembers how the Casey Anthony jurors skipped out without talking to the press. Many of them reported receiving death threats, they were "banned" from restaurants and endured a generally hostile tone from the public for acquitting Casey Anthony of murdering her 2 year old daughter Caylee.
Court is in session, update to follow.







2 comments:

  1. Hi My Forte, some of the text is too dark to read. Just wanted to let to know. I always look forward to your entries.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, I just noticed that! Changed it back to white!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting!

My Apologies for Yesterday's Offensive Photo

I wanted to apologize for the photo posted with yesterday's story about a large mural that appeared suddenly on Christmas Eve in NYC.  I...

Most popular posts